Well, I wanted to do this last night, but didn't. Primarily coz of 2 reasons
  1. Because of the 2 line conversation I had with Maneesh on Twitter (I know.. thats a weird way to spell Manish, and its not even numerologically right)
  2. I was daaaiimmm tired and worried about the headache I would have this morning (which eventually didn't happen, and I think I know why)
So yeah, The First Time. I can easily assume and go with what I assumed about what you must have thought this post would be. (daaaiiimmm Im like the father of Assumptions now... and some one told me that Assumption is the mother of all fuck-ups.. suddenly I'm like a grandfather.. I hope to show u my grandchildren in this post)

Crap, I think I already lost half my viewership by now. (that wasn't a filter technique). Getting back to what I was originally talking about.

This is the First Time I purchased a TV. I had never expected this to be an uphill task. Trust me when I tell u, I was completely frustrated by the time I actually bought one.

So this all started sometime around May 2008. (yeah yeah.. ur already laughin and some might have already said: "bloody procrastinator") Come May 2008 and I decided to gift my parents a 32" LCD TV, for their wedding anniversary, and I would love to say I was kicked about it at that time. Little did I know what I have signed up for. So going by the standard norms or Shopping, I pay a visit to the store/stores, and check out the various models, do my research.. the works. After a shit load of talkin, and ball talking, and more talking, I finally zeroed in on one that I thought I had to buy. At that time I felt like a marathon runner, who had made it against all odds.

So I now sent my parents off to the Store where I had fixed up on the TV, so they could check it out too. All set and done, everyone is done seeing the TV, and the anticipation is growing. Like any other normal being would assume, that he/she would go to the Electronics store in the neighborhood, pay the guy at the cash-counter, and get the deliverables. And I had planned on doing so a day before the D-day.
Unfortunately turns out that the buyer in question here, ME, hasn't inquired even once if the TV he wants to buy, is readily available. Now, who on earth would expect a TV to be out of stock, when India has hit the peak, as far as Inflation is concerned. SUCKS!!! Sucks so bad..

Yeah, for those of u who still dont know what Struck You.. Welcome to the gang.. I am the gang..I didnt get the TV because I didnt find out if they could sell one to me, even if they had one on display. So like, all this time, for 4 days, all the stores I went to showed me the TV but never told me they didnt have any provision to sell it to me. After giving my self 5 mins, I realised I had been long standing in the middle of the store like a destitute kid, who had be abandoned. Anyways, that feeling then, is just for me to know, and you to guess. So what followed is the most frantic effort at calling every Electronic store in the whole of Bombay, but in vain. I went to the extent of calling the Company up, and asked if they could make one set available. The answer was not the obvious NO, they said they are not expecting to re-stock for the next 3 months. I could now see phantom stores here and there, and was tryin to turn and re-turn every stone I had already turned, hoping I would find that one unsold set. :(

There goes... There goes my, not so well planned, Anniversary gift. So the first lesson,(my first grandchild, read fuck-up) ask all the necessary questions that you think, the store keeper will not tell you by default, and would lead you to assume something. For e.g.
  • Can I buy this now?
  • Will you be able to deliver it tomorrow/today? (depending on ur D-day)
  • Do you have a fresh piece in this, or is it the Display piece that im gonna get?
  • If you cant sell it to me, why do uhave it on display? (if u wanna sound like an irate customer, and may be strike a deal with something else. I regret not doing that)
So yeah time passed by, and this feeling kept haunting me. I now had a phantom TV that travelled with me everywhere, and played mind games with me. Trying to find a way to counter the phantom TV, I turned a blind eye towards other brands. May be it was exactly what the phantom intended to do.

I had now gotten used to the pain and agaony the phantom caused to me, and I lived with it. Till the month of August, when I again had an opportunity to make good for the loss I had suffered (loss mentally). It was my Mom's bday, and this was occasion enough for me to bring back the TV I had once thought of buying. The same TV wasnt part of the plan, but the phantom TV took me where it had to. Again, this time the phantoms premonition was wrong, and the Company had still not decided to re-stock. (Dont know how they intend to hold their market, when they dont stock for 4 months). I pulled the plug for the phantom TV then and there, and left the store, feeling lighter. I didnt have the TV on my shoulder now.

Reality now struck me, and I learnt that the phantom was just the price difference the TV came with. This alone had kept me from seeing anyother TV for 4 months and made me feel miserable. The Electronics store was the same, but was a whole lot better now. I could now see a gazzillion other TV sets, and all looked pleasing enough. It took me just one more weekend to decide which TV I now wanted to buy, and also make the purchase. (oops. I forgot to introduce my second grandchild (fuck-up). Dont ever get fixed up on somethign just coz its a tad bit cheaper and soudns attractive. Biggest mistake for an educated person to make.)

No No No.. it couldnt have ended to so well, could it. If you thought you could just step into a store, pay the cashier, walk with your TV, go home and start watchin..naaaahhhh, ur in for more. So yeah.. u do select your TV as such, and also pay the cashier,and then:
  • Wait for the delivery guys to drop it off at your place (these are the most un-reliable species ever born, they called me asked me what time they can come, and half an horu later they asked me if my payement got cleared.. for hell's sake ur cashier swiped my card last night..and billed me)
  • Once the morons from above have finally delivered your TV, you need for an Installation guy who comes in a day after ur TV arrives (this is specifically for those who need a wall mounted TV..also for the paranoid type who think th company guy should unpack the delivery, for any damages that could have occured during transit should be accounted for)
  • And also for your Electric workers, and the cable guy (putting these people in place and making them work is like getting a wedding worked out)
So finally, finally 4 days after having bought My TV, I now get to see it today. So much for being a first time Tv buyer. Come to think of it, there a 100 other things we might never know of till the first time we see them this way, first hand. Lets take a few examples:
  • How do u think u need to go about filing for Divorse?
  • What do u think ur supposed to do when u resign for the first time?
  • What do u need to do when some one dies? How do u do the last rites? Whom do u make the first call to, if the person u would bank on for all of this,is the person whos' dead?
    and many more...
Anyways, the learning curve is really big.. I can now rest in peace and see my TV...

Till then
For a convenient world, with lesser choices

P.S: Btw, this was one post where I deliberately wanted the pictures to be at the bottom of the post, coz it had the TV in a shopping cart. So much for holding your attention



See the full gallery on posterous

Posted by email from Cant think of a name for this (posterous)

No comments: